Bonnie Support Services

Bonnie Support Services


Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions we receive, but don’t hesitate to call us and discuss your situation if you’re needing support or accommodation or need to leave your current home. The most important thing is your safety and the safety of your children.


Bonnie’s provides crisis accommodation and is also a Community Housing provider. We care for:

  • Women and their children who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or escaping domestic or family violence.
  • Women 18 years of age and over.
  • Women in need of crisis accommodation.
  • Women 8 months+ pregnant and meeting the above criteria.

The location of the refuges is confidential. When you call us on 02 9729 0939 you will be given instructions on accessing the refuge.

Women share their own bedroom with their children. We have two crisis refuges and each one can accommodate 4 women and their children depending on the age, sex and number of children. We have shared living spaces, dining room, kitchen, and a play/learning area for young children. We also have one family room available which is accessible for people with a disability.

We welcome females of any age and sons under 16 years in the crisis accommodation. If accommodation is required and the crisis refuge is not suitable or available, we may be able to assist with alternatives in transitional housing. Older boys can be placed with their families in transitional housing.

You will want to keep as much consistency as you can for your children and we can help with that. Depending on your circumstances, they might continue in their present school or join a local school or daycare centre. If your children need to be enrolled in a new school a Family Worker will provide assistance. We may be able to assist with school uniforms if required.

We can assist with clothing, toiletries, bedlinen and other essential items that you require. If required we can assist you to organise a recovery order from the police.

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate pets. We will help you by suggesting alternatives to look after your pets in the meantime.

Confidentiality and safety are our highest priorities. We do not disclose the identities of people using our services without consent. The locations of our refuges are kept confidential too.

If you use a smartphone and social media like Facebook, you will need to turn off location services. This protects everyone at the refuge.

It is very important that the location remain confidential. When you decide to leave please call us and we will direct you or assist you to be safe with your phone and other electronic devices so that you cannot be tracked.

  • We provide early intervention support around domestic and family violence.
  • We can provide support if you are at risk of homelessness.
  • We may be able to assist you with brokerage, in line with a case plan.
  • We have transitional accommodation, available for up to twelve months.

Please bring as much of the following checklist as you can. It will help us too, but if you can’t locate items, don’t let that stop you from contacting us. Remember your safety is the most important thing. Here’s a checklist of items you may want to take with you when you leave.

Cost is based on your income, e.g. a Centrelink benefit or wages; however if you are ineligible for benefits or not working, clients may be accommodated depending on the service’s capacity at the time and each family’s ability to pay.

No, this is not needed – a self-referral is accepted. We also accept referrals from another service, a friend or family member, the DV Line, Link2Home, the police, charities, doctors and hospitals.

You would be referred to other appropriate services with vacancies or to Link2home or the Domestic Violence Line. We may be able to assist you with alternatives such as short term accommodation.

The average stay is up to 3 months in the crisis accommodation. Some families stay longer, depending on individual circumstances. You can stay with us and we will assist you to find safe, secure, affordable and adequate housing. As a Community Housing Provider (CHP) we may also be able to assist you with transitional housing, independent of the refuge accommodation, for up to 12 months.


Domestic or family violence can happen to anyone. All over Australia, women and children of all cultures and religions are made to feel vulnerable, scared and alone. It is not their fault.

Often women are living with domestic violence without realising they are. Sometimes they can find it hard to admit to themselves as well.

Recognising the signs of an abusive relationship is the first step to ending it. The violence can take many forms – physical, emotional, verbal, sexual, financial. It is any behaviour that is used to scare, hurt, intimidate or isolate another person. When it happens within families, we call it domestic or family violence. It is always used to control the other person through fear.

Loving relationships are built on respect, but sometimes one person doesn’t respect the other. They might intimidate, bully or frighten the other person so that they don’t feel like they can say or do what they want. Any type of abuse can make you and your children feel scared, ashamed or worthless.

If someone is hurting or threatening you it may be hard to know what to do, or who to tell. You might feel that you have nowhere to go; or nowhere to turn to. If you are experiencing domestic or family violence or know someone who is, you are not alone. There is help for you and your family.

This might mean punching, kicking, pushing or shoving; pulling hair; biting; slapping; twisting arms; choking; and being injured or threatened with weapons. Physical abuse doesn’t always leave visible marks or scars. It includes physical acts that endanger or control you such as reckless driving.

Damage to property is another form of physical abuse. This occurs when the house, household furniture, or anything else that you own or use is damaged or broken. It could mean breaking a plate, kicking a hole in the wall, or damaging the car.

This is forced or unwanted sexual contact or activity. For example, pressuring you into having sex when you don’t want to, or to perform sex acts you don’t want or like or feel comfortable doing.

It is important to understand that forcing you to have sex is a criminal offence, even if you are married.

This is unwanted attention that controls you or limits your freedom. It includes being followed, spied on, having to account for all your movements, or repeated phone calls and texts. These are all things that can make you feel unsafe or not free from control.

Technology can be used directly or indirectly to intimidate, harass, monitor or stalk victims. Victims may not even know that this form of abuse is occurring. Some examples are: use of telephone, email, GPS, spyware, listening devices, hidden cameras, social networking sites. There are many forms of technological abuse – too many to list them all here, but it is important to be aware.

Many women experience domestic abuse without ever being physical harmed. Psychological and emotional abuse includes behaviour and comments which can destroy self-confidence and self-worth. A common type is verbal abuse, which may include name-calling, threats, putting you down, humiliation and telling you you’re crazy.

This involves isolating you from your friends, family and social network. It may involve controlling where you go, who you see, and what you wear.

He might prevent you from contacting family or friends, or stop you from leaving the house. Another warning sign is if he constantly checks up on you (e.g. listening to your phone calls or ringing you repeatedly when you are at work or out with friends).

This can occur when your partner takes control of your financial affairs or prevents you from having access to money. You might be denied access to bank accounts, or forced to surrender bank cards and credit cards. Other forms include:

  • preventing you from finding or keeping a job
  • making you ask for money for basic items such as food, petrol and clothing
  • forcing you to provide receipts
  • refusing to give you enough money to live on
  • forcing you to have a joint bank account when you don’t agree to this
  • forcing you to go on a Centrelink benefit that you’re not entitled to.

If you are unsure about whether you are living in an unsafe relationship, do this quiz. It might help you understand your situation more clearly.

Coercive control is a persistent pattern of controlling, coercive and threatening behaviours over time, including all or some forms of domestic abuse (emotional, physical, financial and sexual,  including threats). 


Yes, we have a number of bi-lingual workers and if they don’t speak your first language, we will use interpreters.

Yes, please call us and we will discuss your situation. These circumstances don’t exclude you from using Bonnie’s services.

Yes, that is OK. We’ll show you what to do and what is expected of you. A worker can go with you to court or your court related meetings and we can refer you to the Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Scheme (WDVCAS) if required.


Please feel free to send us any other questions you may have here.